play_arrow
105.1 TMC 105.1 TMC
play_arrow
Cebu Calling Podcast Kuya Magik
The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and the Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) have formally endorsed the filing of plunder and multiple graft-related charges against former House Speaker Martin Romualdez and former Ako Bicol Representative Zaldy Co.
Their joint referral report was transmitted to the Office of the Ombudsman on Friday morning, marking a significant step in the ongoing probe into alleged irregularities in major infrastructure projects.
DPWH Secretary Vince Dizon, speaking in a brief press conference after the submission, detailed the specific violations identified in the referral.
“The recommended action contained in the second to the last page, Letter A — violation of Republic Act 7080 or an Act Defining and Penalizing the Crime of Plunder; Letter B — violations of Section 3A, B, and E, and H of Republic Act 3019 or the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act. And finally, violation of Article 210 of the Revised Penal Code on direct bribery,” he said.
“These have actually already been announced by the President in his statement earlier this morning. But these we leave up to the Office of the Ombudsman for further investigation and for eventual filing,” Dizon added.
The former Speaker’s office responded shortly after the announcement, saying Romualdez is prepared to respond to any complaints. Co has yet to release a public statement as of press time.
According to the DPWH secretary, the joint referral covers infrastructure projects connected to two major contractors — Sunwest Inc. and Hi-Tone Construction — spanning 2016 to 2025.
Dizon noted that the combined value of the contracts reaches approximately P100 billion, with Sunwest linked to P67 billion worth of projects and Hi-Tone to around P32 billion.
The referral report also includes the sworn testimony of retired Sgt. Orly Guteza, whose allegations had earlier been raised publicly by Senator Rodante Marcoleta. Guteza is the individual who claimed that suitcases of cash were delivered as kickbacks to the residences of Co and Romualdez.
These allegations became a focal point in legislative hearings on supposed anomalies in flood control projects.
However, Guteza’s credibility remains a subject of legal scrutiny. He failed to appear twice before the Manila Regional Trial Court after being summoned regarding his sworn statement. The document was later determined by the court to contain a falsified or forged notarial signature.
In a subsequent Senate blue ribbon committee hearing on September 25, Guteza read the same sworn statement, insisting that it had been notarized by lawyer Petchie Rose Espera — a claim that Espera denied. She later filed an incident report with the Manila RTC to contest the notarization attributed to her.
Despite questions surrounding Guteza’s testimony, the DPWH and ICI included his statement as part of the collection of documents forwarded to the Ombudsman.
The endorsement follows President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s earlier announcement that the cases involving Romualdez and Co have progressed based on information gathered about questionable flood control projects.
In a video message posted on social media, Marcos explained the administration’s decision to transmit the findings to the Ombudsman.
“As I mentioned in my previous report, I will continue to update the public about the cases and the information we are receiving regarding flood control projects that are not in good condition,” he said in Filipino.
“And so now, I want to inform our countrymen that all the information gathered by the ICI and the DPWH will be referred and turned over to the Ombudsman for investigation. This concerns information about former Speaker Martin Romualdez and Zaldy Co,” he added.
Marcos said potential charges may include plunder, violations of the anti-graft law, or indirect bribery once all evidence is consolidated and assessed.
The Ombudsman has already initiated separate action on related issues. On Tuesday, the anti-graft office filed two counts of graft and a malversation charge against Co over what it described as “serious irregularities” involving a P289.4-million road dike project in Oriental Mindoro.
Several former DPWH officials and an executive of Sunwest Construction were also named respondents in that complaint.
With the referral now formally lodged, the Ombudsman is expected to begin its own review and determine whether criminal cases will move forward against the two former lawmakers.
Written by: topsmediacenter
A selection of songs, made and brewed locally, to tingle your taste buds.
close
8:00 am - 9:30 am
9:30 am - 10:00 am
10:00 am - 1:00 pm
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
2:00 pm - 7:00 pm
All rights reserved - Copyright 2025 - Tops Media Center
Post comments (0)